Monday, June 9, 2008

Adoption day

I met someone today. She was quiet and sweet and somewhat discarded into the clearance rack at Lowe's Home Improvement store. I haven't named her but here she is:





She's a Kalanchoe, a flowering succulent and I hope that she has a long life in my garden. She actually was pretty big, easily capable of being broken into three smaller plants and I really don't know why she was on the clearance rack. Possibly because so many of her flowers were in bloom. Kalanchoes tend to be pretty hard to get to flower again after they do the first time. It involves tricking them into thinking they are in winter by putting them in a dark place for months at a time, kind of like getting a bird to sleep by putting a blanket over it's cage.

I was out and about today running errands and stopped to give my grandmother a pedicure before she heads out for the East Coast. She leaves on Wednesday and will stay back there with various numbers of her other children until we all join her in New York next month. A month to be exact. Wow. Then I stopped at Lowe's and Fred Meyer's in hopes of finding new sempervivum (hens and chicks). A few years ago, every place I went that sold plants had so many of them to choose from but this year . . . zilch.

I did find an Emerald Empress at Fred Meyer's and a Stonecrop sedum too . . . but it took some hunting. I am really hoping that more will come in soon or I can get some new babies from friends gardens . . . (hint, hint, hint fellow lovers).





No comments:

Post a Comment