Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Endurance or Spite?

I am happy to say that I fully stuck to my points today and managed to get all of my water down without really realizing that I had done so. With the reunion a little over a month away and myself, honestly, hardly any closer to any type of a goal than I was the last time I mentioned the reunion, I have decided to step up the exercise and really restrict my snacking if I want to have any chance of being any smaller.

Got home and was itching to hit the gym but didn't manage to get my butt down there until after 9 pm. The gym was empty and so I jumped onto my favorite treadmill and started up the 'Downsizing' playlist on the iPod. Yeah, that's what I call my gym mix. A good mile and a half in, a couple, who seem to always show up at the gym while I am there, showed up yet again. I can come at 8 pm, 8:30 pm, 9 pm or even like noon on a Sunday and this couple always shows up!! Our gym is small and only has two treadmills and I think they like to run together, but with me there, one or the other has to wait until I am done and that generally means the girl is sitting on the bike, half-heartedly pedalling until I finish up and get off. I have never cut my workout short on their behalf but I have always felt somewhat pressured to 'hurry up'. Something about the fact that I have been somewhat trying to find a time that they aren't going to be there and they always show up just annoyed me tonight. I know, it's out of all our control, but still. You think I'd get a break sometime, right?

They have come enough times when I'm already there to know that I tend to walk about two miles or 32 minutes - which ever comes last (though they tend to coincide every time), so after the boyfriend had run a mile, he got off and started doing weight training and the girlfriend got onto the treadmill next to me, half-heartedly walking, as if she was waiting out my usual time.

Well, two miles came and I felt great. 32 minutes then came and I still felt like pushing on and Mike has been urging me to push it past my usual distance/time if I want to amp up my training at all. So I did. Despite the fact that they were pretty much waiting for me to get off the treadmill, I walked another 3/4ths of a mile. Another 8 minutes of her looking over her shoulder at him and shrugging and him finally getting on the exercycle himself as they waited out my little extra push. I cannot say that I would have walked that far had they not been there, but I have been meaning to push myself harder for the last month. So who's to say I wouldn't have regardless, right?

It's wicked of me to do it and I know that. I guess it just bothered me that where I was merrily working out before they arrived, I suddenly felt like I could only walk to two miles because there was someone else who wanted the treadmill. Generally, if I go over to the gym and the treadmills are in use, I walk back to the apartment and walk back half an hour later to see if they are clear. I don't hang around and make someone else feel pressured to wrap up their workout.

If you were working out on a piece of gym equipment and were only halfway through your workout when you knew someone else, who just arrived, was waiting to use it themselves, what would you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment