Monday, July 21, 2008

Three years ago

Today marks the three year anniversary of my life beginning the changes that have led me to today. Three years ago today, I signed up for MySpace. Yeah, I am sure that you are scoffing "So what? Big deal. It's Myspace." and to a certain degree, I would have to agree. I can remember the first time I logged on and looked around, i was less than impressed. I really didn't know anyone on here and didn't do anything with my page after signing up for several weeks.

Before I'd ever signed up, the only person I knew who used Myspace was a former friend (we've just lost touch) who was a pretty active swinger. I quickly assumed that MySpace was like LavaLife or AdultFriendFinder and wasn't all that interested in meeting horny men looking for a third to spice up their flailing marriage. But after a co-worker and friend who wasn't a Swinger kept encouraging me to sign-up, I did. And then my page sat for about three weeks, unused.

Since really getting into it, I have made several amazing friends on here, who have changed my life and made it so much richer, grander than I thought it could be. You meet amazing women like Sarah Costa and all the friends she has brought into my life in the last two years and I cannot help but wonder what my life would be like without her in it. Of course there is that small chance that I would have met her somehow, in some way, since we both live here in Vancouver and it isn't that big. But we met here, on MySpace and I proudly add her to my list of closest and dearest friends.

Obviously, the biggest change that Myspace brought into my life was that Mike, my husband and I met on here. Despite the fact that we'd gone to middle school and high school together, we'd never had a class together and would both graduate and move on, only to find each other on freakin' MySpace. Actually, Mike found me. And continued to pester me for a week or so before I relented and started to really talk to the guy . . . and of course, the rest is history.

Three years ago today, I sat bored at my desk at work, in between applicants and data entry and answering the phones and started www.myspace.com/betsylou24. Who would have ever known that something that has been deemed to "ruin lives" would make mine so grand?

No comments:

Post a Comment