Monday, January 5, 2009

Addicted

Sorry I haven't been blogging much. Been too busy working on the book. Yeah, I know, it's only exciting to me. But it is exciting. More than exciting, it's exhilarating. Kind of like a drug. Most nights, I am up until 2:30 or 3 am, putting things down in my notebook before typing it up in the laptop.

I know it seems kind of archaic, but I actually hand write a good chunk of each chapter before I type it up and edit the shit out of it. I am not sure what spurs me to do that, whether it be that I like not always being tethered to the laptop or that I feel a bit more involved, closer to the story by writing it out in long hand. But since I started laying out ideas for this book in the last weeks of October, I have been using the same notebook. I filled the very last page of it last night.





Most pages look like this. Most often, I have ink smudges on my ring finger (where my pen rests) and a dent above the first knuckle, as holding a pen for two to three to four hours seems to do that.

I've done rewrites. I've taken the story in different directions. I have had new ideas come to me, things to enrich the story or to string along and tie up in the second book. Yes, I have already decided that there will be a second book. This, what I am writing now, is actually the precursor to the dream that actually started it all.

And once I reach a point that I am done "writing" then I start transcribing, typing the sucker into Microsoft word and begin the never ending task of editing it. I can read and reread and reread again and still find something to take out or something to add in. It's a never ending project. Even what I am posting for friends to read can only be considered a first draft.

Still, printing it out into book format definitely makes it look and feel that much more real.



There are about fifty pages there, folks. With two pages on every sheet. And that is probably only about 1/3 of the book. The rest is still in my head . . . waiting to get out.

I hope you are reading it and if you are, enjoying it. And don't be afraid to leave feedback - I need it all. Good, bad and WTF?s too.

I'm having a blast writing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment